The date & time of the first meeting of Aalto University’s Digital Visuality network has been set according to the results of the Doodle poll. It’s May 6th at 15-17 in Media Factory’s office, located on the 3rd floor in Taik’s Arabia Center corridor.
Instructions: Enter the building (Hämeentie 135) from the Arabia center (Iittala shop) entrance, then at the cafe, take the stairs to the next floor. The office is at the end of the corridor next to the OOP (study affairs) office.
Welcome to the meeting!
Background about the network: We have been talking some time about establishing a Digital Visuality network within Aalto University. There are several departments, and a lot of researchers, teachers and students in the three Aalto schools working on the same thematic areas of visual communication and media technologies, but from different perspectives. The network brings them together to initiate joint projects in research and education, and in organising events, industry collaboration and networking.
The focus of the group’s activities will be defined by the members together, so we don’t have a fixed agenda for the first meeting. So far, we have a couple of projects going on (in departments and Media Factory) and areas that will most probably be discussed in the group, these are:
– an Aalto-wide multi-disciplinary digital visuality research initiative with several sub-topics
– a seminar about 3D cinema, and a course on stereographic photography, planned for next autumn.
– a research initiative on computational photography, and a course about the same topic coming
– a project on industry collaboration in the field of CGI (computer-generated imagery)
– joint projects in fine-art printing (TKK and Taik)
– some other topics: augmented reality, computer games, information visualization, Human-Computer Interaction, motion capture, eye-tracking, etc.
The list above is so far quite technically oriented, but we welcome people from all Aalto schools and various backgrounds to take part! That is, there is room for technical, artistic, business, humanistic and design perspectives.
Media Factory facilitates and hosts the activities of the group. Emerging projects are strongly recommended to apply for funding through Media Factory’s Open Call for projects (see http://www.aaltomediafactory.fi/?p=529).
PS. In case you’re interested but can’t attend the first meeting please drop a line by email to Markku Nousiainen (markku dot nousiainen [at] taik dot fi), tel. +358 50 569 2545.